WHAT IS LEG HEALTH?
Leg Health is a dynamic state of good physical, mental, social, emotional wellbeing and comfort. Yes, you have read it right, Leg Health is much more than just a cosmetic appearance of the legs.
Reference: Alam M, et al., Self-reported Patient Motivations for Seeking Cosmetic Procedures, JAMA Dermatology (2018), pg2357.
THE ROLE OF CIRCULATION IN YOUR LEGS
Legs have to work extra hard and since they are below the heart, blood flow in the legs can be difficult to maintain, as the blood must actually travel upwards! Symptoms of poor circulation normally begin with your legs. This is why “getting your blood going” is so important for your health.
The circulatory system is made up of blood vessels, valves and muscles that help to control the flow of blood which carries oxygen and essential nutrients to the cells and removes carbon dioxide and waste products thereby preventing a build-up of toxins for healthy leg function.
COMMON SYMPTOMS ASSOCIATED WITH POOR CIRCULATION
- Tired, heavy, and swollen legs, especially in the evening
- Sensation of pain and tension in the calves after standing or walking for long periods
- Tingling sensation in the legs
- Cramps in the muscles, especially at night
- Itching and hardening of the skin on the lower leg
- Cold and numbness
RISK FACTORS THAT IMPACT YOUR LEG CIRCULATION
MODERN LIFESTYLE TRIGGERS
- Over exertion / overworked e.g. running in heels, climbing stairs, squat packing shelves, workout, doing chores or errands
- Prolonged inactivity / sedentary tasks e.g. sitting, standing, sleeping, travelling
- Hot weather e.g. heat wave, summer or spring season
- Exposure to heat e.g. bathing in hot water, sun-tanning, electric blanket use, sit infront of heater or fire